Specialist Mentoring: Autism & ADHD – Ref: SMASD001
Job ref: SMASD001
Optimum Student Support delivers highly specialised, individually tailored academic and mental health support services to students who are in receipt of Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA). We are passionate in supporting our students to address any barriers they may face towards their learning.
At Optimum Student Support, we pride ourselves on employing only the best mentors to contribute to supporting students to succeed academically and prepare them for a seamless transition into the professional world.
Due to the expansion of our specialist service, we are looking to expand our team of dedicated and experienced Specialist Mentors:ASC
About the role
The purpose of the SM:ASC role is to support students in accessing their higher education (HE) studies by:
- Supporting students in understanding what is required of them academically in HE.
- Identifying barriers to the student’s learning.
- Helping students to develop effective organisation and time management skills and strategies to manage their workload and deadlines in the presence of their condition.
- Helping students with prioritisation and realistic goal setting, including producing plans of work and targets.
- Developing a support programme to facilitate the growth of the student’s independence, reducing the need for support in the longer term.
The SM:ASC must not offer any subject-specific support or tutoring, nor act as an advocate or counsellor. These are outside the remit of the SM:ASC role.
It is expected that SM:ASCs should have an in-depth knowledge and experience of autism and an understanding of the demands of study in HE. They should be able to recognise when there is a need to refer to other support services, both inside and outside the HEP.
Furthermore, you will be required to:
- deliver mentoring sessions according to Optimum Student Support guidelines and Code of Conduct
- manage paperwork effectively, i.e. completing time sheets and Individual Learning Plans (ILPs).
- represent Optimum Student Support in a professional manner, this includes adhering to our policies regarding confidentiality and safeguarding.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience required:
What we can offer you:
- Competitive rates
- Holiday Pay
- Flexible hours
- A dedicated team who you can contact at any time to provide you with support
- Discount on Optimum Elearning courses
The working hours vary according to the needs of the student and the number of students you will be allocated. All Optimum Student Support employees must be able to receive emails and phone calls when on location. All support workers are required to have internet access.
Optimum Student Support Ltd is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. Optimum Student Support Ltd is a Disability Committed employer and promotes diversity in employment and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.