Specialist Study Skills Tutor – ASC – Ref: SSASD003
Specialist Study Skills Tutor – Autism Spectrum Condition (ASC)
Job reference: SSAASD003
Optimum Student Support delivers highly specialised, individually tailored academic and mental health support services to students who are in receipt of Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA). We are passionate in supporting our students to address any barriers they may face towards their learning which are created by a particular impairment, e.g. mental-health conditions or a Specific Learning Difficulty (SpLD) or Autism Spectrum Condition ASC).
At Optimum Student Support, we pride ourselves on employing only the best tutors to contribute to making a difference to our students. Due to the expansion of our specialist service, we are looking to expand our team of dedicated and experienced Specialist 1:1 Study Skills Tutor.
About the role
Our highly specialist tutors will provide 1:1 academic and social support to enable students with an Autistic Spectrum Condition (ASC) to overcome barriers to learning and progress throughout university. Tutors will work with students to address specific academic issues that students with ASC have in completing academic work alongside supporting with social barriers within the academic environment. Tutors will support students in their academic journey by advising and guiding them to develop a variety of academic and transferable/interpersonal skills e.g. social and communication skills. You will have the ability to be sensitive to students’ needs and should have an understanding of additional support needs.
For some students this support will need to be ongoing while for others it might be gradually phased out or only be required at certain points of their course.
Main duties and responsibilities:
Our highly specialist tutors will deliver individual study skills tuition, using a range of multi-sensory strategies to facilitate independent learning and support students to identify their own learning styles and strengths.
Study skills is not subject specific tuition; however, tutors will work with a student using course materials as a framework.
Tutors will work with students on a one-to-one basis developing academic competences such as:
- time management and organisational skills
- efficient strategies for reading academic texts
- note taking from texts, hand-outs and in lectures
- research skills
- mind mapping and planning techniques
- proof reading strategies
- approaching written assignments
- memory techniques and strategies
- revision methods
- analysing exam/essay questions
- managing change and difficult emotions
- dealing with difficult social situations
- developing social and communication skills
- clarifying course expectations
- having a healthy work/life balance
- accessing academic support and guidance
- and any other issues that the student brings to the sessions
Furthermore, you will be required to:
- deliver study skills sessions according to Optimum Student Support guidelines and Code of Conduct
- manage paperwork effectively, i.e. completing time sheets and Individual Learning Plans (ILPs)
- represent Optimum Student Support in a professional manner, this includes adhering to our policies regarding confidentiality and safeguarding.
- engage in compulsory monthly supervision provided by Optimum
Qualifications, Skills & Experience required:
- You will be educated to degree level (2:1 or above).
- Hold a teaching qualification.
- Hold a Post Graduate Certificate (PGC) in Autism or Asperger’s or hold and MA/MEd in Education (Autism or Special Educational Needs Disability.
- Have had comprehensive training in adult autism (if you do not hold a PGC or MA/MEd). This includes; one day face to face course delivered by the National Autistic Society in Understanding Autism OR Autism and SPELL in higher education AND other training delivered by an appropriately qualified trainer.
- You must be able to assess learner’s needs and devise an appropriate Individual Learning Plan (ILP).
- It is imperative to understand the needs, objectives and constraints of others.
What we can offer you:
- £30 per hour
- Holiday Pay
- Flexible hours
- A dedicated team who you can contact at any time to provide you with support
- Ongoing training and professional development
The working hours vary according to the needs of the student and the number of students you will be allocated. All support workers are required to have internet access. All Optimum Student Support employees must be able to receive emails and phone calls when on location.
Optimum Student Support Ltd is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. Optimum Student Support Ltd is a Disability Committed employer and promotes diversity in employment and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.